Axle Question

I just replaced a Dana 30 front axle assembly in my Scout (the ring and pinion
were stripped when I got it).  When I hold the hub on either side (with the hub
locked) and turn the pinion, the axles don't turn.  Is this normal operation?
 If so, what causes the front wheels to turn in four wheel drive?  Centrifugal
force?  I don't have a front drive shaft yet so I can't test it any other way
right now.

Thanks for any info,

Ed