Re: Engine...

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Ed Kraus wrote:

> Am I the only one out here with a straight 6 in a 1974 Scout II
> Eveyone I find in a junk yard or people I talk to have the V8
> 			Ed
> Please no really bad horror stories yet! I've only been a Scout owner
> for less than a month.

Ed, welcome to the family! :-)

No, there's nothing wrong with a straight 6 powered Scout.. they're just
a little on the "rare" side, with the AMC (Jeep) manufactured 258 (and
232) I-6 an optional motor only from '71(?) through '74, so they're not
that common.  The other "problem" is, due to those production years, 6cyl
Scout IIs have the less desireable Dana 30 front end with drums (half of
'74 had the Dana 30 w/ discs, half had the '44 with discs).  '75+ of
course came stock with Dana 44 fronts w/ disc brakes, making them more
desireable.

I know of a person in Colorado that is currently looking for a decent
Scout with a 258.. he dreams of dropping a FI kit on it, and building a
rather potent 6cyl mill to get some decent mileage out of it (Yes, the 6s
DO have that advantage over those of us with the 8s)

I have a 196 in my '77.. and I tanked up last night, for a whopping
12mpg!  (I think I need to adjust the carb a bit.. gag that's bad).
OTOH, my '72 with a 304 would typically get 8mpg to 12mpg.

-Tom (who really should take the time to squeeze some mileage out of that
196)