727TF: Acumulator Spring?

IHCer's,

Took the valve body out yesterday to clean it up and hopefully fix my
problem of slipping in all forward gears. When I pulled it out I
discovered that there was no Acumulator Piston Spring. Any A/T pro's who
know what kind of problem this would cause? I've got a spare tranny that
I've been using as a demo. There are slight differences between the two
valve bodies, but I bet I'm supposed to have an accumulator spring in
both. I'm putting in a shift kit and a new filter. When I get it all
together again I plan on adding some A/T treatment. There was a thin
layer of black, very fine, sludge in the pan and on the valve body. It
didn't appear to be metallic. It was clogging up a few holes. It cleaned
up good. I was wondering if the sludge is off my bands or one of the
clutches. The bands seem to be adjusted properly. Hopefully I won't have
to take the tranny apart any further as long as I get it together again!
Any input on the acumulator spring would be appreciated. Thanks folks!

Tim Davidson
winstond@domain.elided