Strange rear-end noise (no, not gas :-))

Here we go again!

I'm driving home from getting new tailpipes run (they had turned down in
front of the rear axle- hack, hack, hack!!), going about 40 mph, when
suddenly I get this sound from the rear that sounds like a baseball card in
a bicycle wheel.  It is speed sensitive, i.e. it gets faster as I speed up.

Anyway, it stops when I put on the brakes.  The harder I push, the less it
gets.  When I come to a stop with the brakes on (duh!) it is non-existent.

Anybody experience this before?  Ideas, other than "check the brakes?"
Even I'm smart enough to do that, but I thought someone might have some
specific ideas on what would be rubbing something else that would enable it
to make a clicking sound as it went around.  I've also thought ring and
pinion and u-joints (new), but don't see how the brakes would affect them
so far as making the sound stop.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, and thanks for your thoughts-

Paul Brakefield
"Dirtball"

1966 IHC Scout 800- "The Beast"
Chevy 350/SM465/Dana20