Auto Transmission ?

IHC'ers,

I'm a beginner to a lot of the work that I would have normally paid for
someone else to accomplish, but I am learning quickly. Got myself a book
and have even read some of it. Got one for the Scout too. I've got a
transmission problem and am trying to find my transmission in my book. I
can't even find my serial number in the book. I was told I've got a 727.
That doesn't mean very much to me at this point. There are three
3-speeds listed in my book, and I don't see a 727 anywhere. WASSUP?

History of my AT and problem:  Paid mechanic (who I trust, but can't
afford) to fix AT leak. He fixed leak. After some driving AT works well,
but races between 1 & 2 on upshift. Mechanic adjusted throttle rod
linkage. AT works very well and we drive to Portland pulling an empty
trailer. AT dies (in Portland.) Didn't know it was dead until I tried to
DRIVE the first morning there. Since I know absolutely nothing about
this problem, we load the trailer and make it back to Idaho on prayers.
Problem is when I shift to the DRIVE position, there is no solid
SHIFTING. I can barely hear a difference in the speed of the engine. The
Scout rolls slowly forward and then shifts after 5 to 10 seconds. We're
on our way! By the time I got home it was a little worse. (BTW, 10 mpg
is BAD!) It was "slipping" worse, and the Throttle valve problem came
back. Reverse works fine. Fluid level is good with no bubbles, (I've
been reading some.) Is there a common problem that I should contemplate
seriously? I'm keeping the AT because the Scout actually is for the
wife, hehe. If this sounds like a specific problem that I can fix and
still keep the AT, I'd be very happy to hear from you. Thanks way in
advance for the input because I know I'm going to get some! (My wife
thanks you immensely too!)

Tim Davidson
Wife - 1980 Traveler 4X4
Tim - 1995 Chevy Caprice (Let's just say it's fast)