Re: manifold stove pipe AND Bug screen

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, William M Wisser <wmw@domain.elided> wrote:

> A quick question -
> where the manifold stove pipe meets the air cleaner is some kind of
> thermostat.  It doesn't appear to open and let in the hot air from the
> manifold.  Can that be fixed/replaced?

Where the stove pipe goes into the air cleaner there is a vacuum
chamber mechanism.  If you apply vacuum to it, it should close so
the air gets pulled from the stove pipe.
It should be connected to the vacuum source through a "thermostat"
like vacuum switch mounted in the bottom, read of the air cleaner.
This "switch" has two nipples on it, one should be connected to the
vacuum source, and the other is connected to the vacuum chamber on
the "snout" of the air cleaner.
(I've been playing with this as the weather get colder, too.)

On Wed, 05 Nov 1997 10:04:54 Tom Reed <treed@domain.elided> wrote:
> Subject: Bug screen
>
> To All,
> I've got a SSII grill on my rig and I want to make a rock/bug screen to
> protect the radiator. Does any one have any suggestions for something
> better looking than hardware cloth to use behind the grill. Preferably
> black in color.

I just did this recently, too.  I used hardware cloth with a little black
spray paint, and then covered that with black window screen.
I think it looks pretty cool.  See
http://lava.american.com:8080/scout/status.html for the procedural details
(look at the 7/6/97 entry) and check out
http://lava.american.com:8080/scout/pics/Aug-97 for some pics of the
results.

good luck,

Caesar