Dwell and Condensor Don't Matter with MSD!

Howdy kids,

I just got an e-mail response to a couple of questions I had for MSD
Electronics.  I asked them what effect the point dwell has on the MSD
system when the distributor is used solely as a triggering device.  I also
asked what function the condenser serves with an MSD installed.

MSD indicates that the point dwell and thus gap is absolutely not critical.
The MSD computer handles the dwell internally.  When the points are used to
trigger the MSD system, they act merely as a switch... not as a charging
device for the coil.  Any reasonable gap between about .016" and .020" is
fine according to MSD.  As long as the points positively open and close,
that's all that matters.  Also, MSD says the condenser has no function when
triggering the MSD system and is not required!

Of course the gap *is* critical and the condenser *required* if for some
reason the MSD system is removed and the original point system put back in
order.

Just thought the rest of you MSD owners might like to know!

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |