Aftermarket gauges

The dash gauges in my 73 are not working (well, the gas gauge KIND OF
works, as usual) and I am thinking of (actually, I am) changing to
aftermarket.  I'll fab a new piece of sheet or aluminum to poprivet in
place where the existing gauges are, take everything behind that part out,
drill holes, and mount the gauges in the dash.

What kinds of aftermarket gauges have you guys used, and should I get
mechanical or electrical.  Are the stock gauges electric?  I would rather,
and will change if need be, have mechanical gauges.  Are there convenient
places to hook up oil and water temp gauges?  I obviously haven't looked
yet for myself.  Your suggestions/experiences would be preferable to me
starting form scratch!!

If any of you have ideas why I should go electric over mechanical, I'm not
closed minded, I just need  a good argument and to know which specific
gauges to order.

TIA,

Paul Brakefield
"Dirtball"