Re:ballast resister

	<snip follows:
In the factory IH point type ignition system, is there some sort of
resistor
in the hot wire leading from the ignition switch to the positive
terminal of
the coil?  The MSD system doesn't require such a resistor, but many
point type
ignition systems have it.  The years that my IH shop manual covers
doesn't
show wiring diagrams for point type ignition, only electronic.

If the answer is yes, then please tell me anything you can about this
resistor
so I can fabricate one and add it to the system.  Is it a ballast
resistor or
a resistance wire, or what?  How many Ohms?

end snip>

Running a point distributor is no problem.  IH used a resistance wire to
bring the voltage down to about 9 volts.  Add a ballast resistor to do
the same and you should be set.  Have you considered using the pickup in
the electronic distributor alone to trigger your MSD?  Has anyone else
tried using just the pickup in the electronic to trigger an aftermarket
spark box?

Rob Marks
NW Binders pres