First SUV

The History Channel had a History of the Jeep show in their Automobiles
series tonight and in this they noted the 4WD Overland Wagon was "the
forerunner of the modern SUV."  No mention of the Scout, however.

I also found an article on the FWD Truck Company that shows the first
American-built four-wheel-drive vehicle--a steam-powered passenger car
chassis that was their first vehicle in 1908.  It looked typical of
automobile chassis of the day and had no body.  In 1909 it was rebuilt
with a gasoline engine and a large open car body.  It became known as the
Battleship because "nothing could stop it."  With it's large, 20+" wood-
spoke wheels, it probably has more ground clearance than a Hummer and it
looks like it would do well alongside todays 4WD's, although the
treadless tires of the day don't look too effective for mud.  Approach
and departure angles are close to 90 degrees, although I'm not sure how
well it would do with the Ramp Travel Index.  Who says 4WD's are a new
concept?