Gas gauge sender readings

On Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:17:41 -0600
Jim Camery <jcamery@domain.elided> asked:

The options from the JC Whitney catelog are:
GM vehicle type, w/0-90 ohms resistence
Chrysler-Ford type, w/78-10 ohms resistence
Stewart-Warner type, w/240-33 ohms resistence
Does anyone know which one IH used?
Jim Camery
----------end quote-------------

I just did some work on my '78 Scout to get the gas gauge
working.  I have a sender that came with my new 33 gal tank
(that I haven't installed yet).  It works fine with the
gauge in my Scout (I used the sender to troubleshoot the
system), and reads 12 Ohms full, 80 Ohms empty.  ...an open,
infinite circuit also reads empty.  I just measured it with
my handy-dandy, digital meter.

If anyone has trouble with the gas gauge, the first thing
you should try (after checking fuses) is to remove the
constant voltage regulator from the back of the oil/temp
gauge cluster and clean the contacts (and bang it around a
little bit).  My oil/temp gauge were working fine, but my
gas gauge was reading empty.  It was the contacts on the
voltage regulator.  ...funny that it didn't make the
oil/temp gauges quit too.  Are those regulators still
available new?  ...and is the fuse for the gauges or the
lights?

Doug