Scout-buying Advice?

Greetings, all!

     I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and finally saw fit to post. I'm considering the purchase of a good friend's 1980 ScoutII, and would appreciate a few pointers regarding Scout-hunting.

     A few facts about the Scout in question: 1980, naturally-aspirated Nissan 3.2 Diesel (15k on the engine, ~3 years old), freshly upholstered bench seats, includes full hardtop & "stubby pickup truck" top, body in excellent shape (I used to work for this guy in high school and remember the truck well), painted by him (he restores vintage race cars as a hobby). The mechanicals are in great shape, he claims (I haven't seen the truck in a few years, it was replaced by a new Dodge), and the only problem is a "small amount of rust in a place all Scouts get rust" (I haven't got the details on that yet). At any rate, he's asking $4500, the amount he says the new Nissan Diesel engine cost him.

     Any thoughts or comments? Are there any specific questions I should ask? Known problem areas to focus on? BTW, I'm well aware that the truck is a pig due to the Diesel engine, but I get my need for speed satisfied by my Rx-7. Besides, at 22mpg, it's 50% better than the '7!

Paul E. Mullen
 pmullen@domain.elided
 RotaryRckt@domain.elided
 <http://www.chaparral.los-angeles.ca.us/>

     "You ever get that urge, Frank? It begins with looking down from 50 stories up, thinking about the meaninglessness of life, listening to dark voices deep inside you, and you think, 'Should I? ... Should I? ... Should I push someone off?'"