National Geographic Complete on CD IH Ads...The Review...

Well, IH really didn't advertise that much in National Geographic. But
the images are all in .JPG format and of fairly high quality. Size
ranges from 50k to 100k. Images are about 600 pixels x 950 pixels x 16M
colors.
I'd say about a dozen Scout ads. A half dozen Travelall/Pickup ads. Lots
of PR/"Feelgood" ads in the late '50s-mid '60s. Five ads from 1920-1923
(Trucks!). That's about it. No McCormick ads. No tractors except the
"Cub" lawn tractors. Interestingly, Caterpillar was a HUGE advertiser in
National Geographic. Some pretty cool ads for them. The only articles
referring to anything IHC were stories on Illinois. There was one two
page spread on one of the tractor assembly areas.
I have found one ad from 1964 that I think we all can relate to. It
reads:
Wouldn't you rather play hooky today....
and take your SCOUT on a holiday?

I want this bumper sticker!

If anyone wants the image, e-mail me.
One point to ponder. Is an ad considered public domain? The original
artwork belongs to IH (actually, the Ohio or was it Illinois, state
university archives or whoever CASE gave the IH archives to). The act of
digitizing an image constitutes real work, but does National Geographic
generate a copyright interest by duplicating (into electronic) a public
domain work? The images are accessible in a public domain standard
(.JPG), so no special software is required to view the images. The
articles, National Geographic obviously has copyright on. But I'd doubt
on the ads. Anyone know?

Please don't foreword this message to National Geographic or the
publisher. I really don't want a lawyer chewing my ear off for a simple
question.

All in all. The Complete National Geographic from 1888 to 1996 is a real
buy for anyone who enjoys reading National Geographic. I know I do. Each
page is scanned in the same resolution and size as the ads. The search
engine is VERY powerful. ALL text is included in the database and when
you get a hit, it lets you view the page the hit was on. Very slick
viewer included. Search criteria is powerful with boolean functions.
This will definitely be a purchase for me.
Retail is supposed to be $199.

Owen Minor
Tacoma, WA