Luke's t-18 ?'s, Paul (Dirtball) 's vacum leak, clutch sizes, a new question

Luke,
I'm the guy who rambled about t-18's.  With a J**p the 4:1 low is over and
UP, 6:1 is over and DOWN.
4:1 low IS a granny gear.  Most 4 or 5-speed passenger car trannys use a
1st gear ratio of 2.5-2.75:1, so 4:1 is pretty much beyond what most
drivers will ever be used to.
6:1 is just an ULTRA low, good for idling up the sides of buildings and
such :-).

Even if you have the 4:1 first gear, you'll probably start in 2nd unless
you're on a pretty good incline, and first is good for about 10-15mph.

I don't think the t-98 was ever put into an IHC.  It was replaced in 1970
by the t-18.  I suspect that IH used their own IH made t-16 during the
years that the t-98 was manufactured.

CONFIRMED WIDE RATIO t-19 OWNERS:  IS REVERSE OVER AND UP, OR OVER AND DOWN
FOR YOU?  If this holds true for t-19's as well as t-18's, we all have an
easy way to identify them without crawling around in the weeds and spiders
at the junkyard.

Vacum Leak:
The automatic choke on a Holley 2-bbl is shaped like a Skoal can and lives
on the passenger (?) side of the carb.  If the big hole is in the side of
this cylindrical critter, it's the heat riser for the choke.  Great.  But
it shouldn't suck air, and to my knowledge, IH moved away from the Holley
carb before the electric choke showed up, so you shouldn't have a heat
riser tube at all.  Mid '70's owners, please correct me if I'm wrong.  My
1973 scout II with a 304 had a manual choke.

If you're suckin' air, something's wrong.  I don't see really any vacum
fittings on my '64 IHC Holley (the only example I own right now), so I'm
not sure where the line you speak of is.  Is it below the throttle plates
or above?  Where _exactly_ does it enter the carb?

I hate to make rash generalizations, but if you see an open vacum fitting,
you probably want to plug it until you can find out where it is supposed to
go.  Vacum leaks pretty much cripple the carb's ability to control the
fuel/air mixture in any meaningful way.

Clutch sizes:
what references I have indicate the following:
A 10", 9 spring clutch was standard.
An 11", 9 spring clutch was optional.
A 12", 12 spring clutch was optional.
all were single plate designs.  I suspect clutch size had to do with a) the
GVWR of the vehicle and b) the size of the motor. I can't imagine that a
Scout 800 with a 196 would pack a 12" clutch (unless, of course, some
strange guy ordered it that way) when a 10" could hold its own quite well.

My c-1300 dually got the optional 12" clutch, presumably because it's a
heavy-duty application.  I'd be inclined to look on 1300's, 1500's, and
1600's for the 12" clutch arrangement if you're wanting to upgrade.

QUESTION:
My manual steering gear (1964 c1300-4x4) really stinks.  What are my
options for replacement?  I've seen trucks of similar vintage with a funky
piston arrangement on the tie rod instead of a conventional power steering
gear.  I must assume that the power steering gear we use today is superior,
or we wouldn't have changed to it.  I have found several Saginaw power
steering boxes that look like they might fit.  What are the things I should
be looking out for here?  Also, were there several different pitman arms
used?  Mine appears to been have been replaced with one that is TOO SHORT,
and I can't get anywhere near the turn stops on either side of the axle.
The steering gear just runs out of travel.

Michael J. Yancey                  michaely@domain.elided
1964 C1300-4x4 Travelette dually