Re: Weird Tranny, Loadstar Dreams Again

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:06:29 -0700 (MST)
> From: Luke Nelson <lnelson@domain.elided>
> Subject: Weird Tranny
>
> Ok all :)  I gots another question :)
>
> 	I forgetwho, but someone mentioned that CLOSE ratio T-18/T-19
> trannys had thier reverse gear over and up, and WIDE ratio (meanning
> granny 1st) is over and down for reverse.
>
> 	So now I am confused cause I was sure that I had a wide-ratio
> (granny first) t-18, but my reverse gear is over and up.  Not to sound
> real "I know it all" but I have driven many vehicles with granny 1st's and
> I am SURE this is a granny gear)  It is defentally unscyronized, I can't
> get going more than 15 MPH in 1st or the enigne would probilly explode
> (this is assumeing the clutch was ok :) *atuyally at 15, I sitll think the
> engine would explode :)
>
> 	Some of my thoughts are...  I am wacked in the head, you knwo I
> have suffered 7 cucissions from playing hockey (missign 4 teeth, a
> smile only my mom could love :) and that I have no idea what I am talking
> about :)  *kinda explains a lot eh? :)
>
> 	or, that I got wide and close backwards and close means Granny
> gear (insted of wide being the granny tranny, which is my thiking now).
>
> 	or, someone mentioned a t-98 as the orignol granny tranny, coudl I
> have this?
>
> 	or, that i have that rare tranny which no one has heard of and I
> should hold on to it cause "They don't make 'em no more" :)
>
> 	or, 1st really isn't a granny gear, and I jsut living a lie.
>
> But anyways, I will be quiet now as I have to go to bed.
>
> Thanks all :)

Luke,
 You had it right the first time - granny = wide (though this in no way
rules out the possibility of you being wacked out in the head). I thought
I had a wide T18 until I swapped it for a wide T19. After I took the T18
out I checked, and sure enough, it had a 4:1 first. You could check yours
by using jack stands to hold the rear wheels off of the ground, putting the
tranny in 1st, and turning the engine with a breaker bar on the bolt on the
front of the crankshaft and comparing driveshaft revolutions to crank
revolutions.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:24:38 -0600
> From: "J. Michael Daugherty" <jmdaugh@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Loadstar Dreams Again
>
> >From: Jim Grammer <jimg@domain.elided>
> >Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:17:18 -0800
>
> >Yeah, now imagine that baby with 1600 4x4 running gear and the wheelbase
> >shortened to about 110-120", utility bed on the back. It might be a bit
> >wide for some trails, but you'd get to look down on Hummers. Not only would
> >visibility be great, in tight spots you could get out and patrol your
> >perimeter platform(assist bars for spotters?).
>
> Sounds great.  Why not mount two cabs back to back, one at each end.  Then
> put a second steering axle under the rear cab.  That would leave the option
> of a second engine for more power or redundancy.  A steering axle at each
> end would be interesting - you could crab sideways just like the 4WD Case
> tractors.
>
> Mike
>
> jmdaugh@domain.elided

Mike,
 Did you get a good deal on some good drugs, or have you just been talking
to Tom Mandera :)

 Later,                    /\  curt_cleavinger@domain.elided
   Curt                 /\/  \        /\
 [/</]   \_/       [\>\]              '75 Travelall 150
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II