Re: Rear Wheel Bearings

Allan Weidenheimer wrote:
...the IHC service manual on Full Floating rear
> axle service procedures... says to pack
> the rear wheel bearings with GREASE before installing them.
> Now, all I've ever done was to dip them in gear oil...

Faced with the same dilemma last month, I opted for the additional
grease. I noticed that the diff gear oil was just a tad cloudy-- which
I  attributed to the dissolving of grease from the last time the job was
done. I should note that there was not a sign of grease on the
bearings---which I assume was all washed off by the gear oil. I figure
the grease protects the bearings until they get soaked from axle
tilting.

Then there is age to consider. Here I am dealing with a 31 year old
vehicle that has been treated to a little grease in the rear bearings
every now and then. Who am I to say, "No... you've had enough factory
recommended grease... now you're going to spin the rest of your life in
plain gear oil??" I would feel quite bad if the bearings went bad on my
watch.

--
Gene Halpern     mailto:morgantruce@domain.elided
1988 Nimble 20 sail boat -- on trailer hauled by a