Rear Wheel Bearings

O.K, time to test the new server with a question for the experts
While reading the IHC service manual on Full Floating rear
axle service procedures, I noticed that it says to pack
the rear wheel bearings with GREASE before installing them.
Now, all I've ever done was to dip them in gear oil, since when
the truck tilts side to side, the gear oil in the differential can run
out to the ends.  Some gear oil is held on the ends and the
bearings are 'bathed' in this oil as they turn.  I asked a friend
that worked in his dad's diesel shop, and he never heard of
greasing the bearing either, they used the same procedure I
always have.  Note that I always check the level in the diff
if I have had the wheel bearings off.

So, those that know what I'm talking about, how do you
do it?

Allan Weidenheimer
'72 1210 Pickup