From: "Roy T. Collins" <RTC@domain.elided>
To: "Roy T. Collins" <RTC@domain.elided>; <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 4:33 PM
Subject: RE: Standard E36 wheel question (follow up)

> So the results are in of my new wheel purchase.  Thanks to everyone who
contribute with responses first time around.  Anyway, I finally got the 17''
M contour wheels and just today I got new tires put on them.  I went with
the Bridgestone Potenza RE750; 225/45 front and 245/40 rear.  Well, after
only ten seconds of driving my question of wether or not they will fit was
answered and the result is they don't.  The rears, the 8.5'' wheels, rub on
the fender.  There is about 1/2'' of clearence between the new tires and the
fender.  As soon as I took it onto the street, going over the slanted curb,
I heard the rub.  I babied it all the way home, fortunatly for me its only a
mile or so, and here I am writing.  I didnt really test the front tires all
that much.  I took a 90 degree turn and they didnt rub.
> The question now is what do you guys think I should do?  How much is it to
get the fenders rolled, roughly?  Anyone know someone in the Minneapolis
area that can do it? Or should I try and get stiffer springs and see if that
is going to lift me enough to prevent rubbing?  The third option is getting
one more 17x7.5 M contour wheel and us that along with the spare on the
rear.  The problem with that is I now have 2 new tires that I cant use, not
to mention the wheels.  Everyone seemed to think that they would fit so I
was wondering what the list thought was the best course of action from here.
They do look very good and if my car was just sitting in a show I would love
it.  Unfortunatly, I want to get out on the street and see what the new
wheels can do but I cant because they rub.