Help all E34 ASC Problems.. safety?

Hey all, I've got an e34 1991 bimmer and it started doing some funky things yesterday (164,000 miles).  The right rear wheel has started stuttering like the ASC is kicking in while I'm accelerating through low RPM (not when I'm gunning it).. Happens a lot on hills, etc.  The ASC light is not flashing either.  I'm wondering if this is a safety issue and if anyone has even heard of this before?  Could it be a suspension issue?  Any ideas are appreciated, I'm quite worried something in the rear gearbox could be wrong too...  Thanks ahead,

Nico

End of bmw-digest V9 #2459