Re: E30 Engine setup

Tom,

The crankshaft rotates twice for each complete combustion cycle, so when
piston #1 is at TDC for the compression stroke, it's no different than if
it's at TDC for the exhaust stroke.

It's the relationship of the camshafts to the crankshaft that determines
which stroke is taking place at that time.  For TDC of the compression
stroke, both valves for that cylinder will be closed.  For TDC of the
exhaust stroke, the exhaust valve will be open.  (I know that cam overlap
changes these slightly, but it's true for basic theory).

So, if you set piston #1 for TDC, and then rotate the cams for the proper
TDC position (valves closed), you should be fine.  Also, the cam and crank
gears should have timing markers on them.  The gears are keyed, so you can't
install them improperly.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3