E30 Engine setup

I removed cylinder head in 91 325i to repair belt break damage. Would
appreciate advice on how to set engine and head(valves)up to reinstall head.
I assume crankshaft should be turned till #1 piston is at TDC? How does one
confirm this with head off, assure piston is on compression stroke? How
should camshaft be set, valves positioned, for proper timing? I assume all
this is a visual thing, so what do I need to SEE to be sure setup is right ?
Hope these questioins make sense! Any secret to torquing head bolts properly?
Thanks for help!
Tom