administrivia: racing dynamics spam

here is the text of a message i just sent to the hosting provider that is
investigating the recent racing dynamics incident.[note that while my list
of blocked domains is shared on a limited basis, it is published on the
web, so a unix/linux admin could in theory grab it on, say, an hourly basis
using wget or lynx in an automated sort of way. in fact, i have a number of
clients of my consulting firm set up to do exactly that -- rpw]

xxxxx xxxxxx gave me your email address as the person investigating
Racing Dynamics' recent "email marketing effort".

based on comments i'm getting back from the membership of the bmw digest,
it appears that while Racing Dynamics may have been relatively clean as a
mailer for a couple of months, they must over the past week or so done
considerable scraping of web sites, including but not necessarily limited
to various bmw club web sites and the archives of the bmw-digest. numerous
members have made it very clear that they had no prior contact with racing
dynamics.

i have collected a bit of information. i can either ask the readers to
resend their complaints to you directly to you, or i can take the ones i've
received so far and forward them. please advise.

for the moment, i have blocked racdyn-usa.com as a domain of an envelope
sender in my MTA. this will have little impact on racing dynamics' email
connectivity because i share my blocked domain file on a very limited
basis, but what it does mean is that if they want to contact me directly,
they probably should try the phone.

i am _not_ blocking hostasaurus.com, either by domain or by ip.

thanks,
  richard
- --