Over Heating of E-28 535i

>Ron's E-28 has been spewing coolant of late, with temp gauge in the 3/4
area. <snip>

This happened to me with my E28 with an M30 motor.  All sorts were
suggested, and all suggestions had some validity; crook radiator, pressure
cap, top hose, bottom hose, water pump, thermostat....

But it wasn't any of these things.  The car would run fine until I came up a
long hill at a reasonably fast pace.  The radiator would go cold as if there
was no water in it, and steam and coolant would fly out of the overflow
pipe.  The temp guage would go into the red.

It was, wait for it, the tiny bleed pipe that came off the top of the
radiator leading to the coolant tank.  It was blocked at the radiator end -
I took it off and couldn't blow through it. When it is blocked, presumably
air locks form in the cooling system. It required me to hook the obstruction
out with a tiny wire hook.  (Thanks to Sonny Bonito Sr for that advice)

Good luck Ron

Chris Northover            chris.northover@domain.elided

- ---