Over Heating of E-28 535i

Ron's E-28 has been spewing coolant of late, with temp gauge in the 3/4 area.
Here's my two cents, and some, on the matter.

Ron,
   I have to ask. Did you get your Bentley manual yet?:)
Obviously the Check System circuitry is working OK.
   Ten to one it's not the thermostat, but it depends on many areas.
Is this the original thermostat?, has the car have a history of being
maintained regularly? Lots of rust  with flushings?
   If the top hose begins to warm after several minutes idling, it's working,
but you won't know how much unless you take it out, and compare it to a new
one:)
If this is the original radiator, this is most probably the culprit, with
sediment collecting
or adhering to the coolant tubes, blocking many, and stenosing others over
time.
If you are privy to an laser temp gun, you can assess the radiator surface
area for temp differences.
   Water pump failure can be ruled out by feeling the top hose and bottom hose
circulation.
Flushing the system is a waste of time and money until you accurately I D the
problem
area.
Radiator rodding will help a clogged one, but not 100%.  It's still cheaper
than a new one if your
really money strapped.  The Roundel has a couple of Ads for inexpensive
radiators.
Another problem with old radiators is the top resin hose neck becomes brittle
with the hot/cold
variances over time.  A fracture can and will develop, usually unexpectedly,
necessitating
a stop, frustration, delays etc.
   I had the hose neck fracture happen on the way to work.  It wasn't pretty!
Good luck,

Kevin   88' 535i in Winter Park, FL with new Koni shocks&struts,and Dinan
springs, Chipped,
Metric Mechanic'd, and Split Second'd    Waahoo!     and-and Supersprinted ;)

End of bmw-digest V9 #2445