1985 535i Start up problems

I'm thinking of buying an e28 that does not start.  I'm not a mechanic, but I
am 'technically inclined'.

My suspicion at this point is that the problem is a busted timing chain.  The
car has 200k+ on it and to the owner's knowledge, it never had the chain
replaced.  But let's back up.

Appearantly, the car has had one starting problem or another for quite a long
time.  It has two new fuel pumps, all new filters, a new battery and a new
distributor cap with wires.  -But not a new rotor-  A while ago the car came
to a stop at a red light, the engine died and never started up again.  The
owner does not remember any specific noise or anything coming out of the
engine, but did try to crank the engine at least a few times after the stall.
Reportedly, the owner is just "tired" of the car and wants to drive the new
toyota.

My questions are:
If the problem is not the chain or the rotor, what else could it be?
How can I tell if the timing chain is broken with-out opening the engine up?
If the head is shot, how much would it be to rebuild or replace it?

Thanks a ton,
PS
Ah the memories.. e30ic, e30m3, e36m3,
seattle, wa.