<E36> Steering wheel problem

Recently, the steering wheel on my 97 E36 (328i) began turning back and
forth rapidly (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, left-right) at about 40 mph.  The car
still goes straight.  I noticed it does it at all speeds, except at lower
and higher speeds the distance is so small you can't really notice it.

The first thing I did was get the wheels balanced.  The shop said 2 rims
were bent, and they put them on the back.  It didn't fix the problem.

Can bent rims on the back affect the steering wheel like that?  How much
does it cost to fix rims, or do they have to be replaced?

I got the front end aligned, but that also didn't help.

What could the problem be?

Thanks,
ScottR
- --