<E28> Coolant Low intermittent Message.

Hi All,

Now that the warm weather is here it seems that I have found an strange
issue with the coolant low warning light on my 85 535i.

My engine temp never heats up, and the expansion tank is never totally
empty, however the coolant warning light comes on, on the overhead check
panel here and there while driving.  The only coolant I seem to be losing is
throught he expansion tank overflow outlet, when the car is running warm,
from the coolant getting hot and expanding I guess.   I put coolant in and
filled the tank, and within 15 min the light was back on, and the tank was
low, but not empty, and you could see the coolant had come out of the
expansion tank outlet.  While sitting in traffic, the car gets to the high
side of normal, about 3/4s or a bit more up the guage, however never
overheats.  The car never did this last summer.  Could it be a thermostat?

I have checked the oil to make sure there is no coolant in it, and did an
inspection around the engine to see if it was leaking from a hose, or from
the block anywhere, and there is no signs that it is.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Cheers
Ron J
85 535i