Initialising key for central locking <E36>

Hi,

Does anyone know about initialising the remote transmitter in the key to
lock and unlock the car ? I have just bought a 2nd hand E36 1996 and the
key had a flat battery, the manual says get in shut the door turn the
key to position 1 briefly then back to 0 push the unlock butoon on the
key and hold while pressing the lock button 3 times in succession. This
doesn't work and the manual explains that saying it only works if you
previously unlocked the car with the remote (?) My dealer told me you
should always be able to initialize it this way ???? Anyone know better
???

Thanks,
Scott.