Re: E-36 obc display

JHahn22@domain.elided wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I just traded for a 93 318i. Great car in great shape,

Congratulationn on the new toy!
It's manual, right?

> but the OBC display is not readable.  It looks like the lower
> pixels aren't lighting up, and the top half is a little funky
> too.  I'm wondering if this is a backlight problem like on the
> e-30's and e-28's, or if the obc is just kaput.

If the whole display is dark, but you can kinda see the text at the right
angle, than it's the back light bulbs.
If portions or some lines of the screen are visible while others are not,
it's the screen. Which means you are out shopping for a new OBC unit.

> Also, just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to upgrade the
> OBC to the regular one that is probably on 325's and such.  Mine
> only has temp, memo, and a couple other functions.  I kinda miss
> knowing avg mpg, miles till empty, etc.

Pretty hard, but not impossible.
E36 wiring harnesses are not modular like those in E30s. So you are
looking at buying the full OBC head and splicing into/adding to the wiring
harness. Search the archives for John Firestone's posts on the subject.

alex f