E-36 obc display

Hello Everyone,
I just traded for a 93 318i.  Great car in great shape, but the OBC display is not readable.  It looks like the lower pixels aren't lighting up, and the top half is a little funky too.  I'm wondering if this is a backlight problem like on the e-30's and e-28's, or if the obc is just kaput.  Also, just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to upgrade the OBC to the regular one that is probably on 325's and such.  Mine only has temp, memo, and a couple other functions.  I kinda miss knowing avg mpg, miles till empty, etc.
Thanks,
Jake Hahn
College Station, TX
318i