RE: E-30 belt broke- -Advice

You almost certainly have bent valves, time to pull the head....

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-bmw@domain.elided [mailto:owner-bmw@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Tdb1946@domain.elided
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 6:07 AM
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: E-30 belt broke- -Advice

I bought a 91 325i last week for daughter, it "needed work" but price was
right.Was running rough, but at least ran. Previous owner had no maintenance
records, had no idea when timing belt had been changed. Yeah, I know, but
price was right.Day after purchase, I started car, pulled out of driveway,
engine died and I pushed it back in. Would not start thereafter although I
cranked it number of times.  I decided to trouble shoot by beginning with
cam
belt replacement first and testing functions,parts as I went. on removal of
belt cover, I discovered a number of belt teeth missing, enough that turning
crankshaft wouldn't turn cam, belt slipped on crank. Apparently rough
running
was due to belt slipping one or more teeth before it finally lost enough
teeth to fail to turn camshaft at all?
Question- since car was running, even if rough, before belt finally broke
while engine running at low RPM, backing out of driveway, is it likely that
any damage was done to valves, pistons when the belt did "break" or slip out
of time so much engine wouldn't start again.I assume pistons and valves
could
have made some contact, although at relatively low engine speed. Should I
pull the head and check valves, pistons with head off, or just restore
timing
locations on cam and crank, replace belt and tensioner ( and water pump,
etc.), adjust valves and see if it runs ok? Should I be able to see bent
valves by looking at  cam/valve train with valve cover removed, or removal
of
head be necessary to assure no damage.
Thanks for advice, opinions, proceedure tips, even remonstrances.
Tom

- --