Re: E30 Tranny noise

Tony,
I had a similar problem with mine.  I was first told that it was my throw out bearing going out.  After doing the clutch and everything else along with it, the problem persisted.  Especially after "enthusiastic" use of the engine, while at idle.  I talked to an independant BMW shop about it, and was told that BMW calls this "Gear Rattle" and that, as long as transmission performance isn't compromised it's fine.  Kind of annoying, but the tranny still sees regular use many miles later with no ill effects (although now in a different car, may the old car rest in piece).
I'd say, unless you're having trouble shifting, or feeling nasty things while driving, ignore it if you can.  These tranny's tend to last as long as the car and then some.  You might try doing a trans oil change at a qualified BMW place, if it hasn't been done in a while.  They take an oil that you can't buy except in large quantities, so have them do it, or have them sell you some and do it yourself perhaps.
Hope this helps,
Good luck,
Jake Hahn
95 318ti
Austin, TX
> My trans (5-spd) is beginning to whine.  Very audible with engine running,
clutch engaged, in neutral.   Sounds like  bearing noise - layshaft perhaps.

So, what's the recommended course of action?   Look for a low-mileage
replacement from a junkyard?  Rebuild it?  Junk the car and get a new one?