E30/M20 Oil Leaks --- Gone!

Been getting tired of keeping cleaning up the mess the old girl made, and
putting in a quart of oil every 1000 miles was getting to be a bother.   It
was time tor a new timing belt and coolant pump, so I figured I'd tackle
the front engine seals too.   (Rear main was replaced a few years ago with
the clutch, etc.)

Weekend after weekend either work or the excellent snow distracted me from
the appointed task, so I eventually gave in and made an appointment with
the excellent local indy shop (German Auto in Norristown, PA).     Since
this was a once-in-a-lifetime (car's lifetime) job, decided to go the whole
nine yards and replace all the seals on the front -- this engine has three:
cam, counter, and crankshafts.     The tech said that after he exposed the
cam seal, he could see the oil seeping (almost flowing) out from around the
cam shaft

Apparently it's a bit of work to get to the seals (added a few hours to the
normal timing belt/coolant pump job), but the results were excellent.  She
no longer marks her spot, and I can go over 2000 miles without having to
add oil.   It's nice having a clean engine compartment again!

Keep up with these cars and they drive like new for years....

Tony.
1987 325 w/243,000 miles