E36 - Engine Won't Rev Past 5200 RPM

All,

Please help me diagnose a problem with my 97 328i.  The problem is that the
engine won't rev past 5200 RPM.  When I rev the engine to this point it
appears to give a similar response to when you hit the rev limiter, in that
the car does not allow you to rev any higher (be it by fuel cutoff or similar,
I am not sure).  I know that the catalytic converter is bad (code reader), and
I assume that at least one of the 4 oxygen sensors may be bad.  Do you think
that the inability to rev past 5200 RPM is related?  If not, can anyone give
me some suggestions as to what the problem might be.  The car runs flawlessly
except for this problem.

Thank you in advance

Marc