E39 - Why are exhaust systems so expensive??

I buy into the theory of "it's not how much you make, but how much you
keep" - I do ok in the $$ dept, but I'm having a VERY hard time
justifying $600 for a muffler. I bought a used 98 540/6 so I can go
through my "putting-my-kids-thru-college" years with a dependable,
presentable, reliable and 'fun2drive' car - and I think I got the
perfect one. I love this car SO much it's hard to describe, I'm sure
most of you are familiar with this feeling. I'm a car guy - I grew up
building Chevelles, Mach 1's, and 340 Dusters...went to college, got
married, bought a house, and had a couple of kids. I do all my own
maintenance, brakes, detailing, etc. and I'm now thinking of upgrading
my car's performance. $600 for a muffler? WOW...Can you help me to
understand why I shouldn't go to my neighborhood custom exhaust shop to
fabricate a flowmaster muffler for my car, including stainless mandrel
bent pipe and tips for $250?

Thanks for letting me vent a little....

Dave C - Boston
98 540/6