Re: Welding Aluminum and Steel - Exhaust Manifold Question

It was off a 96 328IS.

You were right about the aluminum. I talked to my boss the other day and he
said they probably used a filler on the crack in the aluminum pan. He
agreed there is no way to mate aluminum and steel alloys. He used to
rebuild a lot of motorcycles. We are ChE's.

BTW- I don't know if BMW has a similar part, but Mercedes makes a
protective, bolt-in plate to cover the oil pan.

Perhaps the mechanic mistook the materials as you mentioned. I'll ask him
if he kept it.