Re: 528 maintenance

On 18 Mar 2003 at 6:00, bmw-digest wrote:

> From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@domain.elided>
> Subject: 528 maintenance
>
> I am a relative newbie to BMW, and whats more the 1999 528iT I bought
> didnt come with an owners manual or a maintenance manual.  My BMW
> dealer says that if you use their products you can go until the cars
> computer tells you its time for an oil change, or "12-15K miles".
> What do informed BMW owners believe?  If I use aftermarket products
> (high quality synthetic oil and filters), do I want to drive anywhere
> near the 12-15K miles between oil changes?  Is there a website that
> can help with recommended service intervals for things like fuel
> filters, air filters, coolant, brake fluid, etc.?
>
> John
> 1999 528iT

Don;t know about '99s, but my '85 528e engine has 220K miles on it, burns no
oil between changes, and still gets around 30 mpg in mixed town and highway
driving,.

Whether or not this is related to my oil-change practice cannot be determined,
but my practice after the warranty expired was to change oil & filter, using
synthetic, every 5K miles, until around 150K mi, when I switched to
conventional oil to save a few bucks.  Still doing it every 5k mi.

All the best,

Larry Swain