Re: 528 maintenance

John,

You can safely follow the BMW service indicator lights if you use synthetic
oil.  But, if you're like me, and plan to keep your car until the wheels are
ready to fall off, change the oil every five thousand miles.  I use Mobil 1
in all my cars.

For my daily driver (E34), I drive 100 miles per day, and change the oil
every five thousand miles.  For the M3, which doesn't get driven that often,
I change the oil twice per year (spring and fall).  The M3 is used for
driver schools, so the oil gets stressed more than the other cars.  For me,
it's cheap insurance to change the oil twice per year, even if I only drive
the car 5-6k miles per year.

I haven't owned the Miata very long (since May), and only put 3500 miles on
it since it's purchase.  The oil will be changed this month, and it'll also
go on a spring-fall schedule.

If your driving consists of much stop and go traffic, and many short trips,
consider changing the oil more often.  Short trips prevent the oil from
heating up fully, and results in crankcase moisture forming sludge inside
the engine.

For all the maintenance intervals, you should buy an owner's manual.  If you
plan to service the car yourself, buy the Bentley E39 manual.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3
1993 E34 525iT