<E36> Cracked exhaust manifold on 96 328ISC

Has anyone experienced this? My immediate response was what caused this? I
couldn't diagnose the problem, so I took it to my mechanic. He mentioned
the manifold is aluminum and welded to an iron flange. It cracked at the
weld. Comments?

The dealer price is $400; I obtained a used pair cleaned up & ready to go
for $140. It's hard enough to find someone who can weld aluminum on
aluminum, so I opted for the used parts, but I'd like to prevent this from
happening again.