<BMW all> Thump in the night

Here's a tip learned the hard way.  When you hear a non-rhythmic thump or
clack coming from one or more corners of the car, consider that the
anti-rattle springs used by BMW may unwedge themselves and fall by the
wayside.  This happened to me after I had completed a brake job.  Since the
thump was intermittent, I didn't make the association with the brake job and
instead started to poke and tighten suspension parts.  Finally, I noticed
through the wheel opening that one of the anti-rattle springs was missing.
Although in my case, I failed to seat the spring completely, it's possible
that the springs could come loose on their own.  Anyway, just one more thing
to think about.

Ron Sanders
Email: RSanders@domain.elided