Re: Nordic contacts

Gregory Bradbury <gregory891@domain.elided> wrote:

> Many Finns would be somewhat offended to be refered to as Scandinavian.
> Call a Canadian an American and you'll provoke a similar reaction.

I think that depends on the Canadian.  This American once implied a
Swiss-German co-pilot was one of the Germans, which is probably a much
more sure and severe insult, though he didn't know that at the time.
The jibe was also completely unintentionally: I was only completing a
joke he had made on me the day before. Fortunately, his Canadian
bush-pilot boss was sitting next to him, and made him understand that
were he in his shoes he would still find the joke funny.  Sadly, I
learned that the co-pilot crashed and died a few years later on a
flight in Antarctica.

> There are a few digest contacts in the North, Ulf is more of a
> Scandinavian first name rather than Finnish.

Ulf is also in Trondheim which is several days drive from Helsinki,
unless you drive around the clock because it is mid-summer. :)

- -John