RE: HELP! Brake Pad Decision?

Good info, thanks Alex.

Sincerely,

William T. Wallace
Tarheel BMWCCA

William,
There is absolutely no such thing as 'track/street' pad. The pad
material
is designed to run in a limited temperature range.
The range for the street should start at below freezing to accommodate
cold morning braking. It typically maxes out at around 300-500 F, which
is
where your bad will get after a few laps on track.
The range for the track pads starts at 200-600 F and goes up to
1000-2000
F. Track pads are absolutely unbelievable at track temperatures, but
pretty bad below the minimal operating temps. They also tend to wear off

the rotors and themselves faster when cold.

> However, when I do take it out on the weekends to play, I would like
> to be able to stop at least as good as the OEM pads do but without the
> dealer cost.  Are there brake pads out there that fit my profile?

Get one set of street pads (stock or light dusting - your call). You can

go to your first few driving schools with stock Jurid/Textar/Pagid pads.

Get another set of track pads (Hawk Blue/HT-9/HT-10 or
PerformanceFriction
PF90/93).
Swapping them is amazingly easy. It is both the only safe and long term
most economical approach to street-track driving.

alex f