Re: Question on 535i heater core location

> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:27:09 -0800 (PST)
> From: Michael <mike5635@domain.elided>
> Subject: Question on 535i heater core location
>
> I have a '90 535i, and have recently been smelling
> antifreeze, likely from the heater core.  My Haynes
> manual (sorry, no Bentley manual) says to remove the
> center console (gear shift, window switches, etc.) to
> access the heater core.  Prior to removing everything,
> will this provide access to the heater core?  I just
> assumed (...I know...)that the heater core was
> somewhere behind the dash.
>
> Any sugestions from knowledgable folks?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael in Chicago
> http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Michael,

While I can't help you with the heater core location, I too need to research
where it is and how to replace it. I too have a '90 535i that seems to have
the same problem. About a two months ago on the first real cold day (4
degrees), I turned on the defroster and the windshield started to fog up on
the drivers side and would not clear. I then tried to wipe it off with a rag,
it just smeared it around. I could smell antifreeze. The night before as I
pulled up into my garage, the check coolant light came on as I turned off the
car. Maybe at that point the core failed? I had to put about a half gallon of
antifreeze in. Since then, I have only had to add fluid once more. I still
have antifreeze smell.

I will share any info I get with you.

Peter Schoppelry
Chicago area