RE: warming up...E36 UNDERheating

In light of these discussions of cold starts and warming up the engine, my '96
328i temp gauge never seems to rise much above the blue zone, not to the first
hash mark and no where near vertical, even after prolonged driving.  Outside
temps have been below freezing:  -10 at night to +20 Fahrenheit.
Is this sign of a bad thermostat? Am I hurting the engine by running it cool?
Only other sign is the cabin heater flow never seems very hot either.
Thanks,
Don Bredle