Re: E30 alloy wheel questions

Folks,
Correction to my previous post. E30 iX wheels are in fact 4-bolt. I found
a picture of a friend's iX and it shows four-bolt pattern.
I do remember reading that regular E30 and iX wheels were not cross
swappable, but don't remember exactly why.
iX wheel offset is much larger than that of regular E30, so normal E30
wheels will stick too far out on an iX and may not clear iX calipers or
fit into the wheel wells altogether.
Going the other way and installing large offset iX wheels on an E30 might
work (will at least need 10-15 mm spacers). The 15x7 iX wheels may be a
tight fit on a regular E30. iX wheels are 1/2 inch wider than stock 15"
E30 wheels and the iX had larger wheel arch flares to accommodate the
wider wheel. By 1/2" is not much and the wheel _might_ fit a regular E30.

alex f

Alexander V. Fadeev wrote:

> "Gregory Bradbury" <gregory891@domain.elided> wrote:
>
> There are two factory alloy wheel options for the E30 (non-M3):
> 6.5J x 14 or 7J x 15.

Those are extremely rare.
They were either optional or came with a separate sports package on IIRC
'91 MY year only E30s.
IMHO, they are very plain looking and not worth the hunt.

> I have a line on the 7J x 15 wheels but
> they appear to be the Xi wheels.  My car is 2WD (325i touring).

E30 offsets:
E30     6     14"   =   35mm
        6.5   14"   =   30mm
        6.5   15"   =   30mm
        7           =   24mm
E30iX   6     14    =   47mm
        7     15    =   41mm
E30 M3  7     15"   =   30mm
      7.5     16"   =   27mm

BMW parts CD lists the following weights:
5.5x14 steel:                 7.9kg  (17.38 lb)
6x14 alloy (bottlecap style): 7.5kg  (16.5 lb)
6.5x14 alloy (cross spoke):   6.35kg (13.97 lb)

> The 7J x 15 is called the cross spoke (style 5).  The 2WD cars use
> 36.11.1.179.066 with 24 mm offset, 325iX uses 36.11.1.179.140 with
> 41 mm offset.  Is it possible to use the iX wheels on a 2WD E30 or
> do zou need spacers?

It is NOT possible to use iX wheels on a regular E30s.
iX and M3 hubs and wheels have 5 lug bolts (5x120? pattern).
Regular E30s are 4 bolt with 4x100mm bolt pattern.

> I understand that the reverse (2WD wheels on a 4WD car) isn't
> possible.

Right, but just not because of the offset.

Generally speaking, it's usually better and cheaper to shop for
aftermarket wheels. BMW wheels are generally narrow, overpriced and cast
(heavy and soft).

alex f