Re: E36 central locking

His dealer in NZ wanted to charge him hundreds for a key. I mentioned
paying US$40 for one and had it in two days, I assume from South Carolina.

If he originally locked it with the key, I think he's hosed unless he takes
everything apart. You can't unlock it from the inside handle if you've used
the key, at least it's that way on my 96 convertible E36.

BTW, Alex - I finally gave up on the E36 ignition lock. It took an
independent an additional four hours to chisel out the assembly and reinstall.