Sway Bars and Steering Issues

I recently purchased a 1996 328i...I have an opportunity to purchase a set,
front and rear, of used but excellent condition sway bars from an 98 M3.
Should I go this route or is it better to buy a new pair?  or should I go
aftermarket sway bars.  I do not plan on racing but I would like to improve
the performance.

Second question, the steering is extremely tight and can be choppy.  As a
result, I have not pushed the car yet.  It feels as though the steering pump
needs replacement but it does not sound like the pump is bad.  What could be
the cause of this problem? steering rack?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe