Re: Brake squealing

"David W. Reichel" <reichel2@domain.elided> wrote:
> I just replaced all rotors with new Brembo rotors and replaced all
> the pads (threw the boxes away so not sure exactly what they were).

David,
If you tell us where you bought them and how much you paid for them we
could probably figure out the rest.

> Within 100 miles the fronts started squealing loudly.  I had
> replaced the brakes because they were squealing, not because they
> were worn out.

???
That's silly.
There is nothing wrong with squealing brakes. Some squeal all the time.
Some during light brake applications. Some during hard braking. If they
squeal that means they are working!
Very few brake pads a totally squeal free. Most of those are either
outright bad or below average in terms of fade resistance and longevity.
Brake pads also squeal when you get a stone lodged between the pad and the
rotor or for a while after you overheat them on track.

> The old front pads had a separate anti-squeal backing but still
> squealed.

What brand/model were the old pads?

> The new pads did not come with any backing.

You can reuse old backing plates, not that they help much.
You can chamfer leading/trailing edges of the pad, not that it will help
much if at all.
You can also apply all sort of goop to the back plates/contact areas with
the carrier, but it will eventually burn off/fall off. Goop also makes the
pad swapping jobs that much messier.

> The brakes work great but squeal.  Any suggestions on how to stop
> the squeal would be appreciated?

Rev the engine higher or if you own an Eta, turn up the tunes and enjoy!
;-)

alex f