Re: LOST THE BATTLE, RAISED MY FLAG, SOLD MY E36

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Ron Buchalski wrote:

> TUV inspection is waived for the first two or three years of a new
> car's life.  Then, inspections are done annually.

I believe Mike Miller wrote something similar in the November Roundel,
and made another claim of the TU"V's thoroughness that was so charming
I couldn't bring myself to write the editor and explain it wasn't
true.

I don't think German bureaucrats *ever* waive anything, as then they
would become responsible for breaking the rules. But this may be too
optimistic. :)

For the record, a new car gets its first safety inspection and
emissions test after three years. Thereafter, the car is inspected and
tested every two years. Some commercial vehicles must be inspected
more frequently. Buses, for example, get inspected every six months.
There is some talk of exempting newer OBD-II cars from the emissions
tests. They are self-checking and emit too little to register.

The safety inspection and emissions test can be done by either the
TU"V or - and many don't know this - the DEKRA. The latter is often
more competent, at least our local DEKRA is, because they are
competing against a former monopoly.

> If you don't pass, you can't drive the car until it's fixed. . . .
> The round TUV inspection sticker is found on the rear license plate
> of every car, and includes the month and year when inspection is
> due.  I'll bet the "TUV police" keep an eye on those stickers, and
> look for violators.

The TU"V or DEKRA will schedule a re-inspection and allow you to drive
your car to correct deficiencies, provided they are not hazardous.
They will ground a car that is mechanically dangerous, but so will the
police if that comes to their attention.

The parking police in Germany's towns and cities are responsible for
checking the safety and emission stickers, and can fine you if they
have recently expired. They can be pretty enthusiastic about this as
most local governments are slowly going broke. After something like
eight months, a town or city can pull a car off its streets. They do,
I have been told because they start to become responsible for it.

Anyway, that's probably more than anyone wanted to know. And I totally
agree that some Germans can be very serious about their cars, but then
so can some Americans. :)

 -John
 '96 318is