Re: E30 Air recirculation valve

"David Rich" <richd@domain.elided> wrote:
> When I push the switch to turn on (or off) the recirculating air in
> my 318i I hear a clicking noise like a servo is trying to move the
> door but cannot. Is there a common failure for this component?

Dave,
Are you sure the recirculate flap is not closing?
My ex-E30 recirculate button used to cause all sorts of ruckus but in the end would cut down on some of the outside air flow. The key
being some, not all. E36 recirculate flaps are better in this regard, but
also far from perfect.
The point being that hearing noises does not necessarily mean that the
flaps are not closing.

> Is it a complicated procedure to replace this part?

Can't help there. Mine never failed on neither one of my ex-E30s.

> On other question related to the dash, does the rear defogger
> switch have a waring light inside to note that it is on?

Yes, there is a 1.2W light bulb behind the switch. The same $1 Osram 1.2W
bulb readily available from the dealer that sits behind all interior E30
switches.
They may tell you that the bulb can not be replaced and you need new
switches. Just smile politely, insist on buying the bulb and swap it out.
Buy a few extras to keep on hand when another switch inevitably goes dark
on a 10+ year old car.

alex f